Disclaimer: 3D audio trailblazers, beware. This release may cause excessive excitement, or amplify addictive behavior.
As one of the most advanced sound engines available for game developers of all classes and skill levels (humble brag), we want to make sure that we’re constantly bringing you the most empowering and exhilarating features! So whether you are working on a big budget commercial game, or you’re a passionate independent, the Wwise 2016.1 update contains many new features that you’ve been waiting for, and makes using Wwise just that much cooler.
Key features include:
3D Audio Enhancements
The Wwise voice pipeline now fully supports Ambisonics which includes file playback, rotation, real time encoding/decoding, and recording. To our knowledge, there is no other game audio engine that does this!
We set the bar even higher for the great sounding Auro-3D headphone plug-in by adapting its input to receive 1st, 2nd or 3rd order Ambisonics audio prior to binaural processing. This augments the spatial accuracy compared to standard 5.1 or 7.1 mixes.
The new Wwise update also supports the Dolby Atmos channel configurations which include height speakers to envelop the listener with sound not only coming from around but also from above.
Wwise Project Launcher
The new Wwise Project Launcher is your new home for everything Wwise and community! Essentially, it’s an application that you can use to open all your recently accessed projects, and it also contains a web browser that directs you to a variety of learning materials and tutorials for Wwise. Other benefits of the project launcher include:
- Simplified downloading and installation process for Wwise and its different plug-ins and integrations.
- Resuming downloads. Save time and frustration by resuming your download from the point where it was interrupted.
- Revamped news and community hub with more updates, tips and news from the Wwise community.
- Easy access to all sample projects such as Cube and Limbo.
The Wwise Project Launcher is sort of a big deal. If you would like more information on it, stay tuned! Our next blog will feature a comprehensive introduction.
The new recorder plug-in allows users to record and create their own sounds. Simply insert the Wwise Recorder plug-in effect on busses to record the audio as a WAV file. Files can be opened in any sound editing program or easily imported into a new or existing Wwise project. You can also use the plug-in to record as WEM format during game execution and later playback through an external source object.
Offline Vorbis Decoding
Vorbis files can now be automatically decompressed and cached in PCM at SoundBank load time, saving CPU when played back later. This feature is particularly useful on any platform with a tight CPU budget and for sounds with high repetition rates like automatic weapons, for example.
The new Wwise update provides several workflow enhancements such as:
- Configurable Columns in Tables – It is now possible to hide or reorder any table columns when a particular set of properties is required.
- Modal Project Explorer Enhancements - Added a search field that speeds up object location and remembers the last object selection.
- New Shortcuts – These include workgroup operations for both Perforce and Subversion, conversion of audio files, and the opening of files in an external editor.
We’re excited, are you? Comment below to let us know what you think of Wwise 2016.1!